Need information on libftdi installation

Need information on libftdi installation

William Kolment
Hi guys,

I am a hardware  test  engineer (working  for  IntroSpect Technology) and  we would like  to make  use  of  libftdi library to implement a  svf player that  would upload  firmware  onto a  fpga product.

Can you give out some information on how to install besides saying "build" and 'install"

steps like,

1-download
2-unpack
3-copy paste  to certain directory
4-maybe information on the compiler  to use (im trying to use cygwin and what packages is this build  dependent  on)

5- where  to  put the  libftdi.a this  is  supposed  to be generated

My  code  uses <ftdi.h> (not "ftdi.h") meaning that it is supposed to be  a  installed  system resource and not a local resource.

I am an electrical engineer and  I am not familiar  with the many software tools that this library needs to get running. But  it would be nice to get this thing working.

i found  some people  installing  it  for  OpenOCD but the  final make compilation is not generating the ftdi.a file

Re: Need information on libftdi installation

Paul Fertser
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 03:51:32PM -0500, William Kolment wrote:
> I am a hardware  test  engineer (working  for  IntroSpect Technology) and  we
> would like  to make  use  of  libftdi library to implement a  svf player that
>  would upload  firmware  onto a  fpga product.

Just for the reference, OpenOCD already has an SVF player and can use
any common FTDI-based JTAG adapter for that. Many people are uploading
bitstreams to CPLDs and FPGAs this way.

mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Need information on libftdi installation

Forest Crossman
On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Paul Fertser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just for the reference, OpenOCD already has an SVF player and can use
> any common FTDI-based JTAG adapter for that. Many people are uploading
> bitstreams to CPLDs and FPGAs this way.

There's also UrJTAG (http://urjtag.org/), which has more extensive FPGA and
CPLD support than OpenOCD.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Paul Fertser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 03:51:32PM -0500, William Kolment wrote:
> > I am a hardware  test  engineer (working  for  IntroSpect Technology) and  we
> > would like  to make  use  of  libftdi library to implement a  svf player that
> >  would upload  firmware  onto a  fpga product.
>
> Just for the reference, OpenOCD already has an SVF player and can use
> any common FTDI-based JTAG adapter for that. Many people are uploading
> bitstreams to CPLDs and FPGAs this way.
>
> --
> Be free, use free (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) software!
> mailto:[hidden email]
>
> --
> libftdi - see http://www.intra2net.com/en/developer/libftdi for details.

Forest Crossman

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 08:53:51PM -0500, Forest Crossman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Paul Fertser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Just for the reference, OpenOCD already has an SVF player and can use
> > any common FTDI-based JTAG adapter for that. Many people are uploading
> > bitstreams to CPLDs and FPGAs this way.
>
> There's also UrJTAG (http://urjtag.org/), which has more extensive FPGA and
> CPLD support than OpenOCD.

Are you sure? Last time I checked, UrJTAG's SVF parser didn't support
some features (IIRC, prefixes and suffixes). They have BSDL parser
integrated which OpenOCD lacks, but do you really need that often (or
ever)?

mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Need information on libftdi installation

Uwe Bonnes

    Paul> On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 08:53:51PM -0500, Forest Crossman wrote:
    >> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Paul Fertser <[hidden email]>
    >> wrote: > Just for the reference, OpenOCD already has an SVF player
    >> and can use > any common FTDI-based JTAG adapter for that. Many
    >> people are uploading > bitstreams to CPLDs and FPGAs this way.
    >>
    >> There's also UrJTAG (http://urjtag.org/), which has more extensive
    >> FPGA and CPLD support than OpenOCD.

    Paul> Are you sure? Last time I checked, UrJTAG's SVF parser didn't
    Paul> support some features (IIRC, prefixes and suffixes). They have
    Paul> BSDL parser integrated which OpenOCD lacks, but do you really need
    Paul> that often (or ever)?

For Xilinx and some Amel AVR parts, there is also xc3sprog
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xc3sprog/?source=directory
Xc3sprog can program bit- and similar files directly to xilinx devices. It
works with FTDI and some other dongles.

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes                [hidden email]