Quantcast

libftdi bitbang for CH341

Jasper Mackenzie
Good day,
 Can libftdi be modified to work wit the CH341 (and similar) devices in bitbang mode?
findal_pp failed as:

find_all_pp -v 0x1a86 -p 0x7523
Found devices ( VID: 0x1a86, PID: 0x7523 )
FTDI (0x12a5710): , ,  (Open FAILED)

I am trying this in the context of an LIRC IR transmitter. I have tried transmitting and libtdi complains it cannot connect to the device.
I assume that something as simple as modifying lines 334-336 in src/ftdi.c in git to include the VID/PID will not be enough.

Cheers,

Jasper

Re: libftdi bitbang for CH341

Uwe Bonnes

    Jasper> Good day,  Can libftdi be modified to work wit the CH341 (and
    Jasper> similar) devices in bitbang mode?  findal_pp failed as:

    Jasper> find_all_pp -v 0x1a86 -p 0x7523 Found devices ( VID: 0x1a86,
    Jasper> PID: 0x7523 ) ------------------------------------------------
    Jasper> FTDI (0x12a5710): , ,  (Open FAILED)

    Jasper> I am trying this in the context of an LIRC IR transmitter. I
    Jasper> have tried transmitting and libtdi complains it cannot connect
    Jasper> to the device.  I assume that something as simple as modifying
    Jasper> lines 334-336 in src/ftdi.c in git to include the VID/PID will
    Jasper> not be enough.

Probably few people on this list beside you know about what CH341 is. So
either explain more about the device or experiment more withe the device.
If it contains a FTDI chip, probably adding VID/PID to the right FTDI device
will be enough.

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes                [hidden email]

--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------

Re: libftdi bitbang for CH341

Eugene Hutorny
Hi Jasper, Uwe,

CH341 is a chip competing to FTDI chips.
It uses different initialization sequence and different in-band data
processing (namely, status bits are not sent via bulk endpoint)

Thus adding VID/PID would not solve the issue.

Jasper, in your case I would recommend using kernel driver, which,
is, at least on the Linux boxes I own, built in the kernel.
If it is not available in your kernel you still may build the driver as a
module.

Best Regards

Eugene